Sunday, February 27, 2011

Party-with-a-purpose in Malibu...the morning after...

Milena and I getting ready...


Although I can’t deny my disappointment at the lack of big star no-shows (though maybe its for the best, my journalist head, may have fallen off should Collin Firth actually have walked into the room!) Last night was great fun. I drank cosmopolitans, miraculously managed to stay standing on my heels all night, and found quite a few ladies and gents still taller than me!



The representative for Covenant House (who partnered with director Dianne Namm to make ‘Finding Hope’) gave an extremely poignant speech at the beginning of the evening.




‘Finding Hope’ tells the story of young Esmee, who is forced to become a runaway when she is seduced into a cult of pimps then pursued by the government as a key witness. 


One in three million children in America are homeless, 40,000 12-20 year olds, this is a very under publicised, and Dianne’s film is for the runaways she has worked with, and the many more who never make it into counselling and safety, or who don’t survive the ordeals they are forced to undergo.   


I met the beautiful supporting actress Virginia and we had a nice little chat about the blog, and the movie and (inevitably) London. Her husband is a musician and has worked with Sir Paul McCartney and both have spent quite a bit of time in my part of the world.


Both Virginia and True Blood baddy Andy McKenzie said how great it was working with Dianne, and both loved the project.


It was extremely inspiring to be surrounded by creative, successful artists who care about using their ‘clout’ to make a difference, to make a change, to help people. I spoke to Miss teen California, Alexia (who was also taller than me!) and we talked about the stigma that comes with pageants. Of course originally they weren’t just about ‘hot babes in bikinis’ (though no doubt that was a big selling point) but referring back to my extensive pageant knowledge (mainly from watching Miss Congeniality about 50 times in my early teens) Pageant contestants won, not only on their looks and talents, but also for their opinions on world politics, economics and “world peace”.


Alexia professed her hopes to use her title in order to do something useful and helpful in the world. Which, considering how much money is floating around this town, was reassuring to hear from supporters of a low budged human-rights feature.



The ambience of Dianne’s cozy, wood-furnished ‘weekend home’ was intimate and fairly low-key.


Dianne (third from the left) was of course in high demand all night, but Suniil and I managed to grab a pic with her as we left:


The ambience of Dianne’s cozy, wood-furnished ‘weekend home’ was intimate and fairly low-key. The food was delectable, if slightly insufficient to mop up the outrageous whisky cocktails, and most people went around smelling like cheesy crackers for the second half of the evening...I wisely stuck to the fruit...




 The food was delectable, if slightly insufficient to mop up the outrageous whisky cocktails, and most people went around smelling like cheesy crackers for the second half of the evening.


Producer Lee, in her fabulous Vintage glasses, talking about writing, and the ethics of film making and other palatable delights.


All in all a fun night, topped off with my favourite comment – ‘darling, look at her shoes, well they’re just fabulous! Which made all the hobbling back to the car worth it, and ladies, I know you know what I mean when I say that slipping out of heels into those boots/flats in the car is one of the most euphoric feelings known to mankind.

Ama J. Budge
Special Correspondent 

No comments:

Post a Comment